Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cold Start

When I go to bed at night, my body is warm and loose and it’s telling me that it can get up and run in the dark and cold the next day. I agree. I am 100% sure I can do it. I have the right clothes for it, after all, and I really enjoy running in cold weather. Really, I do.

But, oh, those first few minutes are tough. At 52, it’s always a little tough to get started, but when it’s cold, well, it’s more than just a little bit tougher. It’s even kind of hard to get up and on the treadmill that’s situated in a comfortable basement with a TV and central heating. Rolling those covers off is way harder than rolling them on.

But I can only run in place for so long without going anywhere so I’m looking for motivation. I find it in my most basic principle: live a life of abundance. Fundamentally, that means do everything I am capable of doing today.
I’m pretty sure that I don’t have another 52 years, and maybe only just another 15 or so to run, bike, and remain as physically active as I am now. So I want to explore my limits and try new things as often as possible.

I always hope that I can look back on my life and know that I made the most of it. And not just by exercising, but learning, growing, feeling, and doing as much as I can.

The forecast is calling for about 35 degrees tomorrow morning at 6:00. I think I’ll have a cold start—and a warm shower afterwards.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment